Smoke Free Policy
Senate Policy File
- 1.0 Smoking shall be prohibited by San Diego State University as follows:
- a. In buildings owned and occupied by or leased and occupied by SDSU and in SDSU vehicles,
- b. In SDSU outdoor areas including parking lots,
- c. In outdoor SDSU owned or leased constructed seating areas where people are likely to congregate.
- d. Appropriately worded “no smoking” signs shall be placed in locations where the smoking rule is consistently violated and all public ash receptacles shall be placed in compliance with this policy.
- 2.0 The distribution of free samples of tobacco products is prohibited.
No tobacco-related advertising or sponsorship shall be permitted on SDSU property, at college-sponsored events or in publications produced by the college, with the exception of advertising in a newspaper or magazine that is not produced by SDSU and which is lawfully sold, bought or distributed on campus property. For the purposes of this policy, "tobacco-related" applies to the use of a tobacco brand or corporate name, trademark, logo, symbol or motto, selling message, recognizable pattern of colors or any other indicia of product identification identical to or similar to, or identifiable with, those used for any brand of tobacco products or company which manufactures tobacco products.
- 3.0 The designated officials in charge of receiving complaints about employees shall
be Human Resources, and for complaints about students shall be Student Affairs. Other
violations shall be referred to Public Safety, unless other designated officials are
named by the President to receive complaints concerning violations of this policy.
This official, policy, procedures for complaints, and consequences of violations will
be posted online.
If needed, AB 795 allows for fines to be assessed for repeat violators, and this avenue will be explored if needed, though social enforcement shall be the primary means of enforcement.
- 4.0 All members of the campus community will be informed of the smoking policy by widely distributing the campus tobacco policy on an annual basis. The tobacco policy will be clearly posted in employee and student handbooks, on the college/university website, and in other relevant publications. Key components of the policy will be also shared with parents, alumni/ae, and visitors. The general policy will be both printed and electronic formats.
- 5.0 The university shall offer smoking-cessation assistance for students through Student Health Services and for faculty and staff through the Employee Assistance Program. Interested employees should contact the Center for Human Resources.
- 6.0 San Diego State University auxiliary organizations shall comply with this policy.
- 7.0 Smoking shall be permitted in university-sponsored theatre and dance productions and other representations where smoking is part of the script.
- 8.0 Notice of this policy shall be posted at or near principal entrances to the campus and on www.sdsu.edu.
- 9.0 This policy shall implement Cal. Code Regs. Title 5 section 42356 and CSU Memorandum 200-26 and 2003-19 in accordance with the Education Code 89030 and 89031 and Cal. Govt Code sections 7596-7598, and CSU Executive Order 599.
- 10.0 Smoking is defined as inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying a lighted or vapor-producing tobacco product. Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff).