Smoke Free SDSU
SDSU is a completely smoke-free campus. Smoking is not permitted in or outside any buildings, including Viejas arena and auxiliary buildings, or in parking areas.
Read the smoke free policy here.
Smoke-free campus policies protect the health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors by eliminating secondhand smoke on campus. Everyone will breathe easier, and this will assure equal access for individuals most vulnerable to the effects of secondhand smoke exposure, such as those with asthma and allergies. Additionally, by adopting a 100% smoke-free policy, SDSU will:
- Promote clean air, a healthy environment, and healthy behavior choices
- Save money and staff time spent cleaning cigarette litter by eliminating butts and other tobacco waste on campus
- Prepare students for smoke-free work environments (e.g., hospitals, K-12 schools, etc.)
- Prevent students from initiating smoking
- Encourage tobacco users to quit or decrease use
- Support those who have already quit using tobacco
Memo Sent to Students, Faculty and Staff on Dec. 11, 2013
As recommended by the University Senate, San Diego State University will be a fully
smoke‐and tobacco‐free campus, in accordance with adoption of the policy on Jan. 1,
A smoke‐and tobacco‐free campus will contribute positively to the health and well‐being of our students, faculty, staff and visitors.
People wishing to address their own personal smoking habits can find information on health and safety related to smoking, as well as cessation programs on this site.
Areas on campus currently designated as smoking locations will no longer exist as such. Ashtrays will soon be removed and signage will soon be installed across campus reflecting that SDSU is now a smoke-free campus, including any and all facilities owned and operated by the university or its auxiliaries.
It is the expectation that the SDSU community will come together and practice “social enforcement,” which refers to the establishment of a broadly shared norm and value within our community. Members of the SDSU community will maintain the no smoking policy by engaging in direct, honest and supportive communication.
SDSU will neither encourage nor tolerate hostile interpersonal conduct related to the enforcement of this policy. If you encounter an employee who violates the policy and disregards your requests for them to stop, you should contact the Director’s Office at the Center for Human Resources by calling
(619) 594-8323 or [email protected]. Recurring student violations of the policy should be reported to Lee Mintz at the Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities, (619) 594-3069 or [email protected].
Thank you in advance for your support to create a healthier environment at San Diego State University.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view; download Adobe Acrobat Reader.